Nelson Mandela and his grand son Bambata
Nelson Mandela et son petit fils Bambata
(Photo: A Long March to Freedom)

English version


The next day, Mandela met at the secret location in the Transvaal region, with Walter Sisulu, Gavan Mbeki, Moses Kotane, Dan Tloome, J. B. Marks and Duma Nokwe. The next night he was to leave for Johannesburg, disguised as a chauffeur. But 20 miles northwest of Pietermaritzburg, Nelson Mandela noticed a Ford with 2 white men in it, followed by two other cars with more white men in them. The Ford passed them and signaled to Mandela to stop. Mandela says that from that moment, he knew instinctively that his life as a free man was over. A white man came to the window of the car and introduced himself as Sergeant Vorster and ask him to identify himself; Mandela answered: “I am David Motsamayi”; to which the man replied: “you are Nelson Mandela and you are under arrest”. Thus began Mandela’s incarceration.

In the book, Mandela describes his trial and his imprisonment at length. But the purpose of this post is to find out who supported him outside of South Africa; and we will keep our description limited to that topic.

In Chapter 57, Mandela describes the support he received from the outside during his trial. The students of London University protested his arrest and trial. The UN Security Council, with the abstention of Great Britain and the USA, urged the South African Government to end the trial and release him. In 1965, the International Red Cross stated monitoring the state of political prisoner on Robben Island. Because of the intense pressure the authorities were putting on Winnie Mandela, she sent her two daughters Zeni and Zindzi clandestinely to Swaziland to a boarding school. The SWAPO in Namibia made an alliance with the ANC and started attacking South African targets. Guerilla movement allied to the ANC started in Angola and Mozambique. In 1967, the ANC formed an alliance with the Zimbabwe African People’s Union (ZAPU) that had been formed by Joshua Nkomo. Numerous Umkhonto we Sizwe soldiers joined the fight against the Rhodesian army. In 1971, men from the Namibian SWAPO and the ANC were arrested by the South African Authorities and brought to Robben Island; they were led by a formidable fighter by the name of Toivo Ja Toivo. By 1976, the ANC had military bases in Tanzania, Angola and Mozambique. In 1975, the South African Army had invaded Angola in support of the colonial power and to track ANC and SWAPO fighters who had bases there.

In Chapter 85, Mandela says that in 1979, from Lusaka Zambia where he was based, Oliver Tambo launched a “Free Mandela” campaign. India awarded Mandela with the Jawaharlal Nehru Human Rights Award, which was accepted by Winnie Mandela. The ANC became very active in newspapers and on the ground with its military campaign. In 1981 the South African air force did a raid on the ANC offices in Maputo, Mozambique, killing 13 ANC members. The conflict was becoming more intense. In August 1982, Ruth, the wife of Joe Slovo, an ANC member, was killed by a letter bomb. The apartheid regime was becoming more cruel and vicious. In December 1982, the ANC retaliated by setting off explosions at a nuclear power plant in Cape Town. In May 1983, the ANC car bombed the office of the Air force and Military Intelligence, killing 19 people and injuring more than 200. There was a tremendous escalation of the armed struggle.

In 1984, the ANC had become the most popular political movement in Africa; Desmond Tutu was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize but the South African Government refused to acknowledge that. Mandela says that the South African Government started making overtures towards him in 1984 and 1985. Initially the government wanted to isolate him from the other ANC prisoners. “Mandela, we can work with you but not with your colleagues, be reasonable”, he was told by government ministers. He refused to be isolated from the rest of the ANC. Early in 1985, he was visited by a member of the British Parliament, Lord Bethell and an American law professor at Georgetown University by the name of Samuel Dash. Bethell asked him about the necessity of the armed struggle and Mandela told him that it was not up to the ANC to stop the armed struggle but to the South African Government to stop the policies that lead to violence. Samuel Dash was interested in knowing what was Mandela’s vision of a future South Africa. Mandela said: a unitary state, without Bantustans; non-racial elections: one man one vote; political freedom; human rights. The American asked him about mixed-marriages, to which Mandela replied: “it is not my ambition to marry a white woman; it is political, social and economical equality that we want”.

In 31 Jan 1985, P. W. Botha in a televised address offered to release Mandela, if he unconditionally would renounce violence as a political instrument. Mandela responded by asking for Winnie Mandela to take a letter to the Foreign Minister Pik Botha, in which he was rejecting the offer, because the ANC could not abandoned the armed struggle unconditionally. In 10 Feb 1985, Mandela’s daughter, Zindzi, read in a full stadium in Soweto, his letter of refusal to accept the release conditions of the government and his reaffirmation of loyalty to the ANC.

In Feb 2086, Mandela was visited in prison by Olesegun Obansanjo, requesting that Mandela meets with a delegation of the British Commonwealth. Obansanjo obtained from Mandela, a meeting with the South African Government scheduled for May 1986. The group Mandela met was called the Eminent Persons Group which included Kobie Coetsee and the Lieutenant General of W. H. Willemse. Mandela told them that in accordance with the views of Oliver Tambo in Lusaka Zambia, the ANC was ready to begin formal negotiations with the South Africa Government, under the condition that the army withdrew its troops from black townships as a sign of good faith. The group left promising to meet with Oliver Tambo in Lusaka. However, instead of withdrawing its troops, the South African Defense Force launched simultaneous air attacks on ANC bases in Zambia, Zimbabwe and Botswana. This action poisoned any prospect for negotiations and Oliver Tambo and the ANC called for their supporters to render South Africa ungovernable. The anger of the masses became unrestrained. On 6 July 1986, as the violence was spiraling out of control, the South African government declared the State of Emergency. The ANC was now in position of strength and thus able to dictate the terms of the negotiations.

In 1987, Mandela resumed contacts with the South African Government. The government was now ready to meet without conditions with the ANC’s National Executive Committee. The first formal meeting between the two parties took place in May 1988. In December 1988, Mandela was moved to the Prison of Victor Verster, into a house built into that Prison, where he could negotiate with the Government in privacy and comfort. In 19 Jan 1989, the South African government made a proposal to the ANC, asking them to do two things: renounced violence and renounce asking for majority rule. Mandela refused. Then P. W. Botha suffered a stroke and was replaced by F. W. De Klerk. In 10 October 1989, De Klerk announced that Walter Sisulu, and seven other Robben Island were to be released. These men were released within 5 days and the ANC became convinced that De Klerk was sincere in his commitment to normalization. Then, having shown good will, De Klerk asked to Mandela and the ANC for an honest commitment to peace. Mandela accepted the overture. The ANC published the declaration of Harare, in which it said that it would accept a ceasefire if the South African Government ended the state of emergency, the military occupation of the townships and lifted the ban on individual liberties. On 13 Dec 2009, Mandela met with De Klerk and told him that he had the impression that De Klerk wanted to modernize apartheid and not abolish it, and that this was unacceptable to the ANC. Mandela told De Klerk that history proves that an oppressive regime cannot be reformed; it must be entirely cast aside. De Klerk said that he would do exactly that: lift the state of emergency, release political prisoners, allow all exiles to return, etc.

On 2 February 1990, in a televised address, De Klerk announced the dismantling of apartheid, the legalization of the ANC and other dissident political parties, the freeing of all political prisoners, the suspension of the death penalty, the lifting of the state of emergency and all individual right restriction. On 9 February 1990, Mandela was told by De Klerk that his release was imminent. De klerk told Mandela that he would be flown to Johannesburg and released there. Mandela said no, he wanted by foot out of Victor Verster’s prison and thank those who helped him by being among the people.

Chapter 100, freedom. Mandela’s family was brought to Cape Town in a chartered plane. The organizing committee to receive Mandela was chaired by Cyril Ramaphosa and Desmond Tutu. On 11 February 1990, Nelson Mandela walked out of the prison’s gate, a free man. Mandela said that his first responsibility was to thank the people who had helped him inside and outside of South Africa. On 27 February 1990, he flew to Lusaka Zambia to personally thank Robert Mugabe, Kenneth Kaunda, Jose Eduardo Dos Santos, Quett Masire and Yoweri Museweni.

Dear readers, we have summarized for you this account so you would know the truth and would not believe any revision of history by the Bongos trying to insert themselves into Mandela’s life.

Version Française

Suite ...

Le lendemain, Mandela s'est réuni au lieu tenu secret dans la région du Transvaal, avec Walter Sisulu, Govan Mbeki, Moïse Kotane, Dan Tloome, JB Marks et Douma Nokwe. La nuit suivante, il devait partir pour Johannesburg, déguisé en chauffeur. Mais 20 miles au nord-ouest de Pietermaritzburg, Nelson Mandela remarqua une Ford avec deux hommes blancs à son bord, suivie par deux autres voitures avec des occupants blancs. La Ford les a dépassé et leur a signaler de s’arrêter. Mandela dit qu'à partir de ce moment, il savait instinctivement que sa vie d'homme libre était terminée. Un homme blanc est venu à la portière de la voiture et s'est présenté comme étant le sergent Vorster et de lui demanda de s'identifier; Mandela a répondu: «Je suis David Motsamayi", à laquelle l'homme a répondu: "vous êtes Nelson Mandela et vous êtes en état d'arrestation". Ainsi commença l'incarcération de Mandela.

Dans le livre, Mandela décrit son procès et son emprisonnement en détails. Mais le but de ce post est de savoir qui l'a aidé hors d'Afrique du Sud, et nous allons limiter notre description à ce sujet.

Dans le chapitre 57, Mandela décrit les soutiens qu'il a reçus de l'extérieur lors de son procès. Les étudiants de l'Université de Londres ont protesté contre son arrestation et son procès. Le Conseil de sécurité des Nations-Unies, avec l'abstention de la Grande-Bretagne et des Etats-Unis, avait exhorté le gouvernement sud-africain d’arrêter le procès et de le libérer. En 1965, la Croix-Rouge internationale a commencé à surveiller l'état des prisonniers politiques à Robben Island. En raison de l'intense pression des autorités sur Winnie Mandela, elle dut envoyer ses deux filles Zeni et Zindzi, clandestinement au Swaziland dans un pensionnat. La SWAPO en Namibie fit une alliance avec l'ANC et commença à procéder à des attaques en Afrique du Sud. Des mouvements de guérilla alliés à l'ANC débutèrent en Angola et au Mozambique. En 1967, l'ANC forma une alliance avec l'Union Populaire Africaine du Zimbabwe (ZAPU), qui avait été formée par Joshua Nkomo. De Nombreux soldats de Umkhonto we Sizwe rejoingnirent le combat contre l'armée de Rhodesie. En 1971, des hommes de la SWAPO namibienne et de l'ANC furent arrêtés par les autorités sud-africaines et incarcérés à Robben Island, ils étaient dirigés par un combattant redoutable du nom de Toivo Ja Toivo. En 1976, l'ANC avait maintenant des bases militaires en Tanzanie, en Angola et au Mozambique . En 1975, l’armée sud-africaine avait envahi l'Angola en appui de la puissance coloniale afin de pourchasser les combattants de l'ANC et de la SWAPO qui y avaient des bases.

Dans le chapitre 85, Mandela dit qu’en 1979, de Lusaka en Zambie où il était basé, Oliver Tambo a lancé une campagne "Libérez Mandela". L’Inde lui décerna (à Nelson Mandela) le prix Jawaharlal Nehru des droits de l’homme, qui fut reçu par Winnie Mandela. L'ANC devint très active dans la presse et sur le terrain avec sa campagne militaire. En 1981 l’armée de l'air sud-africaine fit un raid sur les bureaux de l'ANC à Maputo, au Mozambique, tuant 13 membres de l'ANC. Le conflit devenait de plus en plus intense. En Août 1982, Ruth, la femme de Joe Slovo, un membre de l'ANC, fut tuée par une lettre piégée. Le régime de l'apartheid devenait de plus en plus cruel et vicieux. En Décembre 1982, l’ANC riposta en déclenchant des explosions dans une centrale nucléaire près de Cape Town. En mai 1983, l'ANC attaqua à la voiture piégée les bureaux de l'armée de l'air et des services de renseignement, tuant 19 personnes et en blessant plus de 200. L’escalade de la lutte armée était sans précédent.

En 1984, l'ANC était devenu le mouvement politique le plus populaire en Afrique. Desmond Tutu reçu le prix Nobel de la paix, mais le gouvernement sud-africain refusa de le reconnaître. Mandela affirme que le gouvernement sud-africain a commencé à lui faire des ouvertures vers 1984 et 1985. Initialement, le gouvernement voulait l'isoler des autres prisonniers de l’ANC. "Mandela, nous pouvons travailler avec vous, mais pas avec vos collègues, soyez raisonnable», lui avait dit certains ministres du gouvernement. Il refusa d'être isolé du reste de l'ANC. Au début de 1985, il a été visité par un membre du Parlement britannique, Lord Bethell et un professeur de droit de l'université de Georgetown aux USA, du nom de Samuel Dash. Bethell l’interrogea sur la nécessité de la lutte armée et Mandela lui dit qu'il n'appartenait pas à l'ANC d’arrêter la lutte armée, mais au gouvernement sud-africain d’interrompre les politiques qui conduisent à la violence. Samuel Dash était lui intéressé à savoir quelle était la vision de Nelson Mandela pour l’Afrique du Sud du futur. Mandela lui répondit : «un Etat unitaire, sans bantoustans, des élections non raciales: une personne-une voix, la liberté politique, les droits de l'homme ». L'Américain lui demanda son avis sur les mariages mixtes, ce à quoi Mandela répondit: "ce n'est pas mon ambition d'épouser une femme blanche, c'est l'égalité politique, sociale et économique que nous voulons".

Le 31 janvier 1985, P.W. Botha dans un discours télévisé proposa de libérer Mandela, s'il acceptait inconditionnellement de renoncer à la violence comme instrument politique. Mandela a répondu en demandant à Winnie Mandela de porter une lettre au ministre des Affaires étrangères Pik Botha, dans laquelle il rejetait l'offre; parce que l'ANC ne pouvait abandonner la lutte armée sans condition. Le 10 février 1985, la fille de Mandela, Zindzi, lu dans un stade plein à craquer à Soweto, sa lettre de refus d'accepter les conditions de libération du gouvernement et sa réaffirmation de loyauté à l'ANC.

En février 2086 Mandela reçu la visite en prison d’Olusegun Obasanjo, lui demandant de rencontrer avec une délégation du Commonwealth britannique. Obasanjo obtenu de Mandela, une rencontre avec le gouvernement sud-africain prévu pour mai 1986. Le groupe qui rencontra Mandela fut baptisé appelé le Groupe d’ Eminentes Personnalités et comprenait Kobie Coetsee et le lieutenant général de WH Willemse. Mandela leur a dit que, conformément à la position d’Oliver Tambo depuis Lusaka en Zambie, l'ANC était prête à entamer des négociations formelles avec le gouvernement d'Afrique du Sud, sous la condition que l'armée retire ses troupes des townships noirs comme un signe de bonne foi. Le groupe a quitté Mandela, promettant d’aller rencontrer Oliver Tambo à Lusaka. Cependant, au lieu de retirer ses troupes, la Force de Défense sud-africaine a lancé des attaques aériennes simultanées sur les bases de l'ANC en Zambie, au Zimbabwe et au Botswana. Cette action a empoisonné toute perspective de négociations et Oliver Tambo et l'ANC ont demandé à leurs partisans de rendre l'Afrique du Sud ingouvernable. La colère des masses devint effrénée. Le 6 Juillet 1986, la violence atteignit son paroxysme et le gouvernement sud-africain déclara l'état d’urgence. L'ANC était désormais en position de force et donc en mesure de dicter les termes des négociations.

En 1987, Mandela reprit contact avec le gouvernement sud-africain. Le gouvernement était prêt à rencontrer, sans conditions préalables, le Comité exécutif National de l’ANC. La première rencontre officielle entre les deux parties a eu lieu en mai 1988. En Décembre 1988, Mandela fut transféré à la prison de Victor Verster, dans une maison construite à l’intérieur de cette prison, où il pouvait négocier avec le gouvernement dans l'intimité et le confort. Le 19 janvier 1989, le gouvernement sud-africain fit une proposition à l'ANC, leur demandant deux choses: renoncer à la violence et renoncer à demander que la majorité dirige le pays. Mandela refusa net. Ensuite, P.W. Botha subit un accident vasculaire cérébral et fut remplacé par F.W. De Klerk. Le 10 Octobre 1989, De Klerk annonça que Walter Sisulu, et sept autres prisonniers de Robben Island devaient être libérés. Ces hommes furent libérés dans les 5 jours qui suivirent et l'ANC fut convaincu que De Klerk était sincère dans son engagement pour la normalisation. Puis, après avoir fait cette démonstration de bonne volonté, De Klerk demanda à Mandela et l'ANC de faire un engagement honnête pour la paix. Mandela accepta l'ouverture. L'ANC publia alors la déclaration de Harare, dans laquelle elle déclarait accepter un cessez-le feu si le gouvernement sud-africain mettait fin à l'état d'urgence, à l'occupation militaire des townships et a levait toutes les interdictions sur les libertés individuelles. Le 13 décembre 2009, Mandela rencontra De Klerk et lui dit qu'il avait l'impression que De Klerk voulait simplement moderniser l'apartheid et non l'abolir, et que cela était inacceptable pour l'ANC. Mandela dit à De Klerk que l'histoire prouvait qu’un régime oppressif ne pouvait être réformé, il devait être entièrement être démantelé. De Klerk lui promit qu'il ferait exactement cela: lever l'état d'urgence, procéder à la libération des prisonniers politiques, permettre à tous les exilés de rentrer, etc.

Le 2 Février 1990, dans un discours télévisé, De Klerk annonça le démantèlement de l'apartheid, la légalisation de l'ANC et des autres partis politiques dissidents, la libération de tous les prisonniers politiques, la suspension de la peine de mort, la levée de l'état d'urgence et toutes les restrictions des droits individuels. Le 9 Février 1990, Mandela fut informé par De Klerk que sa libération était imminente. De Klerk dit à Mandela qu'il serait transporté par avion à Johannesburg et libéré là-bas. Mandela refusa, qu'il voulait sortir de la prison Victor Verster à pied et remercier ceux qui l'ont aidé en étant avec le peuple.

Chapitre 100, la liberté. La famille de Mandela fut amené à Cape Town par avion special. Le comité d'organisation pour recevoir Mandela était présidé par Cyril Ramaphosa et Desmond Tutu. Le 11 Février 1990, Nelson Mandela est sorti à pied du portail de la prison, en homme libre. Mandela déclara que sa première responsabilité était de remercier les personnes qui l'avaient aidé à l'intérieur et à l'extérieur de l'Afrique du Sud. Le 27 Février 1990, il se rendit à Lusaka en Zambie remercier personnellement Robert Mugabe, Kenneth Kaunda, Jose Eduardo Dos Santos, Quett Masire et Yoweri Museweni.

Chers lecteurs, nous avons résumé pour vous ce qu’en dit Mandela dans sa biographie afin que la vérité soit faite et de faire échec aux révisions de l'histoire par les Bongo qui essaient de s'insérer dans la vie de Mandela.


Popular posts from this blog